Romney Replaces Reality with Distorted Rhetoric; President Obama’s Successful Clean Energy Investments Support Hundreds of Thousands of Jobs
The Facts: The false claims in Romney’s latest ad don’t hold water. Even Congressional Republicans’ wasteful year-long investigation into the President’s job-creating clean energy investments affirms that they were made on the merits. Those investments are helping make us more energy independent.
- Jobs: The President’s clean energy investments have so far supported more than 224,000 jobs here at home.
Innovation: We need to out-innovate the rest of the world, not cede future clean energy jobs to countries like China and Germany. We need to stop subsidizing oil companies that have rarely been more profitable and invest in promising clean energy companies.
- Clean Energy: We now get more of our power than ever from renewables like wind, geothermal and solar and have nearly doubled our production since 2008. Our dependence on foreign oil is now at a 16-year low.
- Solyndra got 1.5 percent of a much larger loan portfolio, under a program started by Bush administration, to fund some innovative projects so we could be on the cutting edge of innovation. The overall portfolio supports jobs across the country and with far less risk than Congress initially expected.
Romney’s Hypocrisy: As Massachusetts governor, Romney loaned millions in taxpayer dollars to two companies run by his donors. They later defaulted on those loans, leaving taxpayers with the bill and leading to layoffs. On Romney’s watch, Massachusetts plummeted to 47th out of 50 in job creation.
Behind Romney’s Rhetoric: Romney is shilling for his Big Oil donors, who want to stifle the job-creating clean energy economy the President has helped strengthen.
- Does Big Oil’s Bidding: Romney and his SuperPAC allies have taken nearly $4.5 million from the oil and gas industry. He wants to keep giving them $4 billion in needless taxpayer subsidies even though they’re posting near-record profits.
- Cutting Job-Creating Clean Energy: Romney would cut the President’s job-creating clean energy investments that are reducing our dependence on foreign oil to help pay for his budget-busting tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires.
- No Help at The Pump: Romney would eliminate protections against Wall Street speculators who manipulate oil prices and turn his back on the President’s higher fuel economy standards that are helping families save at the pump.