Mitt Romney Would Run the Country as He Ran Bain Capital, and the Middle Class Would Suffer
Today the campaign released a new part of RomneyEconomics.com , an interactive map that highlights where Mitt Romney’s economic philosophy left companies bankrupt and Americans without jobs.
- Please see the map at www.RomneyEconomics.com/states.
- Please see this new DNC video highlighting the coverage Romney economics is getting, titled “The Bane of Romney’s Existence.”
As CEO of a financial buyout firm, Romney didn’t care about growing companies and creating jobs. He and his partners cared most about making money for themselves and their investors no matter the cost. They loaded companies up with debt, put thousands out of work and bankrupted companies all so a handful of investors could make a fortune.
We aren’t questioning Romney’s right to run his business as he wanted, or the private equity industry as a whole. This is about Romney’s values as a businessman, and what they would mean for the economic security of the middle class.
Romney specialized in buying companies, borrowing money to load them up with debt, and extracting millions in profit for himself and his partners.
- To cut costs, he laid off longtime loyal workers and shipped jobs overseas.
- Those who kept their jobs too often saw paychecks, benefits and pensions cut.
- When the debt became too much, Romney and his partners drove several companies into bankruptcy and walked away with millions.
Romney’s business values shaped the troubling economic policies he promises today. It’s the same Bush-era formula that benefited a few, but crashed our economy and undermined security for the middle class and those trying to join it:
- More budget-busting tax cuts weighted to the wealthiest and paid for by the middle class.
- No investing in our nation’s long-term strength through education, decent health care, consumer protections, or our roads and bridges.
- Letting Wall Street and corporations write their own rules again.
We can’t afford to go back to the same failed policies and wrong values that caused the economic crisis in the first place. Romney economics would hurt the middle class instead of helping it grow.
President Obama is moving America forward, fighting for an economy built to last, where hard work pays off, responsibility is rewarded, and everyone has a fair shot, does their fair share, and plays by the same rules.